Newbury Coat of Arms

Newbury Coat of Arms

Official blazon

Arms : Gules on a Fesse Argent between in chief a Teasel Flower between two Garbs and in base as many Swords in saltire points upwards Or a Bar wavy Azure.

Crest : On a Wreath Or and Azure a Castle of three Towers domed Gules flying from the centre tower a forked Pennant Argent charged with a Bar wavy Azure and from the exterior towers a Flag also Azure.

Motto : 'FLORUIT FLOREAT' - May it flourish as it has flourished.


Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on 24th June 1948.

Across the centre of the shield is a representation of the River Kennet. Above this is a teasel flower. These were once used to unpick wool and represents the historic woollen industry. The garbs are for agriculture. The crossed swords in base stand for the two Battles of Newbury.

The crest depicts Newbury Castle. The mantling is in the blue and gold colours of Berkshire county Council. The arms are continued by the Newbury Town Council.